Monday, January 11, 2010

Now what do I do?

I finished reading Donald Miller's book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" on December 31st just before heading to a New Year's Eve party. I loved the book and it had a lot of good points, but now what do I do with them?

Don talks about the elements of a story are the same as the elements in your life. Sometimes you have to create a good story. He says that "The elements of a story involves a character who wants something and overcomes conflict to get it. This is the role of a hero."

He also says that "Great stories go to those who don't live in fear." pg 108. I live in fear. I admit it. I am sometimes afraid of people. What will my friends think of me? What will my parents think of me. Sometimes I try to get around this by suggesting wild things so that the other ideas are not so bold. Like when I talk about a commune. What I really want is people around me for life. I want my friends to be my community through the times when we are all having (or adopting) children. We spend so much time together now, that I don't want that to change later on.

My paraphrase of something he said is that life can be magical if we embrace whimsy. Life can be special if we take risks. Oh there are so many risks I could take right now and I don't know if I can get over my fears. I need courage. Do I keep my house, do I sell it? Do I try to go to an orphanage to volunteer this summer or do I stay and volunteer with a youth program for foster kids? Do I get a roommate I don't know or do I get a second job so that I am prepared when another (yes, I have had a lot of emergencies over the last 4 months) emergency comes up, I don't have to worry about the money?

I loved Donald Miller's book because it is making me think, but I have so much that I really want God to be clear on and give me answers.

No comments: