Monday, October 12, 2009

What I have learned this weekend

This weekend was GCLI for our church which is a leadership training. It was so good starting with Praise and Worship and Prayer on Friday night. I love worshipping the Lord with people by my side who are not afraid to raise their hands. Bill shared the verse
Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is my strength of my heart and my
portion forever. Psalm 73:25-26


I think that is such an incredible verse. We don't have anyone but God to look to to help us. If we make God our desire, nothing can hurt us. God should be the center of our lives and where we look for everything. I know that right now, I am feeling like a lot of things are up in the air, but if I turn to God and give Him my full trust and attention, I know he will walk me through it.

On Saturday, Bill talked about being mature and that part of that is pressing on even when we make mistakes. He quoted Philippians 3:12. It is ok to have weaknesses which I think I sometimes forget. I want to be strong and perfect and when I am not, I feel so weak and I don't give that to God to get the glory. He also said to forget the past, press ahaed (Philippians 3:13-16) He said not to settle and don't stop seeking growth and maturity.

Steele talked about the four ways God's grace is applied to our lives: Living Grace that everyone has; Saving Grace that is given to everyone but must be received; Forgiving Grace given to everyone who believe to take away all past, present and future sins; and Strengthening Grace which is given to the Christian. I definitely have needed God to come in and fill in for my weaknesses lately. I feel like I have so many and I have been so tired I can't do any more unless it is Him who does it.

Josh talked about the need to spread the gospel. He calculated that in our 2.1 million population, only 1.4% are evangelical Christians, which is 38,000 and only 2% of those share their faith. I hope we can win Utah with only 2% sharing. I believe it is possible. I love this state and want it to see Jesus as He really is - our Risen Savior.

Rick talked about some of the qualities and needs of a leader: we are groomed to be a leader by living in plurality and in community. He said that the top quailities of a leader are being faithful, loyal, willing to be hurt in community and has a heart of compassion. Must be flipped ans serve wholeheartedly with humilty in a sacrificial life with character.

Later, at church, Rick talked about the next step for most of us: relationships... He said our relationships with people show how much we love God. I love God so I need to love others better. I know I am sometimes wanting to be on my own private island and I need to give it up. He said that we need to cultivate faithfulness and that God wants to strenghten our character for what is next. We need to live in the light of Eternity.

This was a lot to learn in a weekend, but I hope I don't forget it.

No comments: