So, I was ready for a nice relaxing night to myself tonight. Tonight is the night that a bunch of girls in small group called Deeper were going to start our 24 hour fast. I planned on getting home, working out for a little bit and making a huge, delicious dinner. I started out a little off task but got things ready in tin packets to go on the grill. I love to grill out on my mini portable grill and am out there all the time.
I started the meat and was reading while waiting to turn the meat and get other stuff on the grill at just the right time. Then my cat who had just darted in wanted out. He is so cute when he is outside so I tried to get him out. The handle was hard to turn from my sitting position right in front of it. So I got up to try it again when I realized it wasn’t turning. I must have accidentally turned the knob the way it does when I lock it! I was locked out on my second floor balcony!!! I could just see fire trucks or something coming to rescue me.
What color of red was I going to turn? I started praying for someone, anyone to come and check on me. Anyone with Faith or Lisa’s number would do.
I saw the one tool I have out on my balcony - a tiny flower shovel. I tried doing everything imaginable to the knob and doorframe and nothing worked.
All I had left was my foil packets, a plate, a book and garlic salt. I gave up for a minute and looked over the balcony to see my neighbor’s dog. I figured if I could just wait until he came to check on “Buddy” I would be ok. I saw a few neighbors I didn’t know come home, but no one really looked up and I didn’t know them so I stayed really quiet and finished barbecuing. My only hope seemed to be my sister but that was no good. I would have to wait at least two hours before she would even be in the valley because she went to go get her kids after vacation tonight. I was stuck.
Then one of my neighbors came by and my downstairs neighbor came to see her dog. I was quiet for a while and then decided that I should swallow my pride and ask for a screwdriver. He looked up and saw me. Then he asked what kind of screwdriver so I had to admit I was locked out. That didn’t work and neither did trying his house keys for my door. So then he tossed up a cell phone. I had to call home because I didn’t know my mother’s cell phone or any of my friends’ numbers.
Whoops, so goes my argument that I don’t need to remember any phone numbers. My brother answered and had to make me spell out the stupidity that I had brought upon my self for wanting a great dinner. Yes, my brother is great at making me humble myself. He had to act as the dispatcher to my mom who was coming back from meeting my sister and then my mom tried calling my sister. After a while, I caved to the offer of the ladder and got off my balcony. After a little more discussion, I decided that if I could get to my friend Faith’s house, she would have a key and I could get in. Thank you Faith!!! I was so happy that I burst into her house and scared her.
After calling my brother and telling him the good news, he made me promise to always carry my keys and tell Faith what a good friend she was. Faith and I laughed the entire time about me being stranded.
I am now home!!! Yea. Did I learn my lesson? Yes, for one more year. This happens yearly. This is just another quirky thing about me that I know my family will use against me at the family reunion this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment