Sunday, June 20, 2010

Honduras

One week from today I will be on a plane to Honduras! I can't wait. I am still a little nervous/excited about the famous landing, but I guess that is part of the adventure. I feel that God has called me to go on this mission trip for many reasons.

First of all, it fits with my character. I have always felt called to be a missionary in some capacity. It is crazy to think that God has this call on my heart and I don't know how this will play out. Sometimes I think it will be in a foreign country leaving behind all of my family, friends and things I love in the states and sometimes I think it means that God wants to use me here defending and loving on the oppressed. I have been given a passion for kids - especially the ones who aren't given much of a chance because of their family backgrounds or their economic misfortune. So overall, I feel that going to Danli and working with the children's nutrition center and repairing houses is a taste of what might be part of my future.

Secondly, God tells us to defend the rights of the widows and orphans. Since I have been working with the homeless and the kids at the Dream Center, I have definitely been trying to defend and love them more and more. God tells this in a command about acting out of our faith.
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22 NIV


Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world. James 1:27 MSG


Thirdly, I am getting to proclaim the Gospel. The world has polluted the real Gospel of Jesus Christ to love those around us and to tell them about a relationship with Him, but I want to band together and tell others what God had done for me and how he has changed me.

I will get to work with pastors in another culture to see how they approach things such as evangelism and how to reach out to their community. I can't wait to see how this will change my outlook back in the states.

So, now I need to go and listen to my Spanish CDs and prepare my heart for the trip. I can't wait to see how God changes me through this.

No comments: